Life is like a buffet. We walk up to make a selection and realize that with so many choices it’s hard to make a decision.
In our lives, we get to choose who we want to be and what we want to do, but making that decision can come with discomfort or even come with confusion.
We may find ourselves asking,
- ”Is this the right decision?”
- ”Are these the people I want in my life?”
- ”Is this choice going to serve me in the future?”
- “Will I always want to do this?”
- “What if I make a mistake?”
But staying committed to who we are and creating a vision of who we want to be will help us to make choices in our life that will serve us every single day.
What is the difference between vision and commitment?
Your vision and your commitment are valuable pieces of your life.
Vision is what you can imagine or picture for yourself. Do you want to be an entrepreneur? A doctor? A supportive spouse? Friend to all? By envisioning yourself as what you want to become, you will help to manifest your vision. You’ll be living in the headspace of who you want to be.
You flow from vision into commitment. Our vision won’t always be clear, but as long as we stay committed, it can become clear again. Our commitment is so much easier to perform when our vision is intact. Committing to something is making actionable steps. These are the things that move you closer and closer to your vision.
It’s not limiting to choose your vision.
For so many people, myself included, choosing one thing can feel restricting! Having to decide who you are can come with so many feelings of stress and anxiety, but there are things we can do to help prevent those feelings.
- Join a Community: By joining a community, you will be surrounded by others who are working on themselves. You’re surrounded by their knowledge of what they’ve experienced, read, listened to, and learned. By being in that group, you have no choice but to work on yourself and figure out what it is you desire.
- Make Mistakes: Part of life is trial and error. Don’t be afraid to make a mistake because it is a great opportunity to learn! By taking a job you’re unsure of, you can learn about the position and figure out if it’s something you’d like to continue to pursue. If it doesn’t align with you, you can always find something new to try.
Live in Your Vision
If you don’t have a vision, you risk falling into someone else’s plans. By joining a community of people that become your tribe and not being afraid to make mistakes, you can find your vision.
Connect with Jonathan on his website or social media. You can listen to my most recent interview with Jonathan on The Coachable Podcast or watch the entire interview on our Youtube Channel. Please remember to leave a rating and a review wherever you listen to the show. Send us a screenshot of your review to firstname.lastname@example.org to receive free access to my Find Your Purpose Workshop.